Along your bathroom renovation journey, you may come across difficulties in choosing whether to opt for a shower curtain or a shower door to blend perfectly with your ideal bathroom look. With each kind having advantages and disadvantages, weighing your options before making a choice is essential. Read on as we tackle the specifics of each, and compare both choices.
- Inexpensive. Typically made of fabric or vinyl, curtains offer a much cheaper option, making it possible to change a bathroom style on a budget.
- Wide variety of choices. Shower curtains are available in numerous shades and designs, catering to different styles.
- Easy to install. Like putting up curtains for your windows, installing shower curtains is much simpler and faster than installing a shower door. It takes only minutes to hang up the rod and hang the curtain. Also, you don’t need any tools or special skills when changing from one curtain style to another.
- Flexible. The fabric or vinyl curtain can be easily tucked away when not in use and pulled open when needed.
- Water leakage. While shower curtains are generally water-resistant, they don’t provide a completely waterproof seal, resulting in some water escaping from the edges of the curtain.
- Regular maintenance. These curtains naturally accumulate mildew and mold after continuous exposure to water. Periodic cleaning is necessary.
- Not as durable. With lightweight materials, shower curtains can tear easily. This explains why they won’t last as long as a glass shower door will.
- Non-modern look. If you are a fan of contemporary bathroom styles, shower curtains may not be the right choice for you. They do not provide a sleek appearance compared to shower doors.
- Waterproof. Unlike shower curtains, shower doors are fully waterproof and can effectively seal against water leakage.
- Good air circulation. The open design allows better air circulation, reducing moisture in the bathroom and preventing mold or mildew growth.
- Long lifespan. Glass or acrylic doors are made of sturdier materials than shower curtains, making them more durable and last longer.
- Sleek look. Shower doors are great for giving your bathroom a simple yet sophisticated appearance. Just ensure that it blends in with the total feel of your bathroom.
- Expensive. Shower doors are usually made of glass or acrylic, making them more costly than shower curtains.
- Complicated installation. If not installed properly, shower doors may be prone to leaking or not staying closed. Getting a professional like Gatsby Glass for the job is a safe and wise decision.
- Not flexible. Unlike shower curtains that can be pulled back when not used, shower doors will always remain in place once mounted, making them hard to replace.
- Fragile. While maintenance is not as needed as shower curtains, shower doors should be handled carefully since they are prone to breaking from strong impacts.
When deciding between shower curtains and shower doors for your preferred bathroom style, consider your budget, design preferences, lifestyle, and ease of installation. Ultimately, there is no right or wrong answer; it’s all about finding the best solution for your needs.